Saint Saviour's Cemetery, Punchbowl
Local pioneers buried in St Saviour's Cemetery
Many pioneers of the old district of Belmore are buried in St Saviour's Cemetery. If you have further information about these pioneers or information about other people buried in this cemetery and would like to either donate of loan it to us for copying please contact Canterbury City Library via post or phone or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. This information will be kept in the Local History Collection and published on this website. If your family tree includes an ancestor buried in St Savior's Cemetery and you have already pulished your family tree on the internet we would be happy to add a link from this site.
One of the earliest European settlers in the area was Frederick Meredith, a sailor who arrived with the First Fleet, and later returned on the Bellona to settle in Sydney. His farm was located west of today's Rose Street and Cullen's Road. He sold all but 50 acres of the property to Thomas Rose, another Bellona immigrant, but his family continued to occupy the land. Frederick Meredith was buried in Liverpool Cemetery, but many of his descendants still live in the area near the original farm.Henry Cullen and John Hodsdon bought the 30 acre section of Meredith's farm, and moved there to establish a market garden in the 1860's. The southern boundary of the market garden was an arm of Salt Pan Creek (now Wiggs Road Canal), and the house still stands (1989) in Mooral Avenue.The Levingston family earned a living as timber merchants from 1861. Their farm was west of Belmore Road, now the site of the Riverwood Housing Commission area. Their nearest neighbour, immediately to the north was Ludwig Passeyer, a market gardener.The Whitehall family were descended from Thomas Gardner Whitehall, adopted son of Robert Gardner, who lived on Podmore's and Emery's grants (north of Narwee Station) from very early in the nineteenth century.James Milner was the first Postmaster when Belmore Post Office was established in 1879. He lived on the southern side of Canterbury Road, opposite the present Wiley Park, and he operated a horse-bus between Belmore and Sydney in the 1880's.William John Gibson was a Bankstown Alderman and Mayor and was the first President of the Grand Council of the Tempe East Hills Railway League when he died in 1925. His wife, Bertha, cut the ribbon at the official opening of the Tempe-Kingsgrove section in September, 1931, and was in the Official Party at the opening of the Kingsgrove-East Hills section in December, 1931.
The Scottish Fenwick family arrived in Sydney on 26th August, 1849 aboard the Kate with the following members of family: Andrew 36 years of age, Elizabeth 32, James 15, John 13, Johannna 11, Peter 9, Thomas 7. Eight more children were born to the couple after their arrival in the Colony: George 1850, Walter 1851, Elizabeth 1854, Thomas 1856, Robert 1860, Jane 1861, Peter James* 1863 (given the name Peter James after his two brothers (Peter and James) who were drowned at sea in 1862. Georgina not known. Andrew, Senior, died at sea aboard a ship in 1866 leaving his wife, Elizabeth, to bring up their large family on her own. Later, two of her sons John and Thomas, commenced a ship towage service, so it seems the family had the "sea in their blood". John Fenwick also bought James Quigg's "Bellgrove Farm" and built a Victorian mansion, "Belmore House" in the 1880ís. The family occupied the unsubdivided farm until 1942.
"Two successful businessmen chose the hills of Canterbury to build their country houses. About 1880 John Fenwick, tugboat proprietor, built a large Victorian residence which he called "Belmore House". It was demolished for the building of Roselands Shopping Centre in the early 1960ís" (2)
At least 15 members of the Fenwick Family are buried at St Saviourís Cemetery.
In 1798 William Bond a free settler on the First Fleet was granted land at Peninsular and Windsor. In 1810 he received a grant of 50 acres in Botany Bay. However, on 22 January, 1810 he wrote (1) to Governor Macquarie:
"Your Excellency, The petition of William Bond most respectfully shewith that he has been twenty-two years in this Colony. Being considered worthy of some indulgence, [he] has recently received the Deeds of fifty acres of land, from which he was at first driven off by the Natives, with a providential escape for his Life. But has since raised a house on the said grant and gotten a part of it under cultivation with considerable expense, life and inconvenience from which circumstances he most respectfully solicits your Excellencies consideration may be pleased to confirm to him the aforesaid lands"(2).
William Bond died in 1839 aged 110 years whilst living in Pitt Street, Sydney (3)
Adam Bond arrived in the Colony of NSW as a guest of His Majestyís Government on 7th December, 1829 aboard the ship Sarah (4). The ship had departed London on 29th August, 1829 (5), along with 200 male convicts. He traveled by way of Tristan d'Acunha and St Pierre Island to Sydney (6).
According to the report written by Alick Osborne, Surgeon Superintendent on the Sarah's voyage, Adam Bond was one of the luckier convicts on this journey to New South Wales.:-
"We commenced this voyage at the most favourable period - the beginning of September. The prisoners had been some time employed in the hulks at Portsmouth and were accustomed to ship life and all in excellent condition and most of them anxious for the voyage. The voyage was quick (100 days) the weather fine so that I was enabled to keep all of them on deck, all day. The Prison below was kept clean and dry - the stove lighted almost every day. We had no cases of any moment (No. 7 recorded in this journal excepted). All in general slight yielding splendidly to the treatment and all terminated favourably so that a further detail of cases seems unnecessary.
We had no appearance of scurvy but to some of the oldest prisoners who were desponding and debilitated - I administered several doses of Bark and wine twice a day during the last month of the passage. This appeared to have a beneficial prophylactic affect in obleviating any scorbtic (hard to decipher) tendency which might otherwise be apprehended. We sent none to the hospital on our arrival and landed all in robust health and vigour (7)."
Bond was one of several prisoners from Chelmsford in Essex who had been tried on 9th March, 1829 for "milks and reaps and poaching" and were sentenced to seven years in the Colony of New South Wales (8). However it appears he already had two prior convictions. He was seventeen years of age, a Protestant with no education, his height was five feet three and a half inches, ruddy complexion with brown hair and light blue eyes. His face was marred by two slight scars under and at the corner of his left eye with another slight scar at the left corner of his mouth.
On arrival he was sent off in the charge of Peter Howell in the Illawarra area. 0n 25 June, Bond was assigned to the service of W.E. Riley in the No. 5 Road Party in the Argyle District and on 9 September 1836 he received his Conditional Pardon. (10)
Three children have been found in the records born to Adam and Mary Ann Bond while they were living in the inner city area, namely:
Adam Thomas has not been found in the records. John Charles Prier born 4 April, 1841
Sarah Elizabeth born 28 April, 1843
James Richard born 10 June, 1847 Adam Bond became a timber getter:
"The story is told of one timber getter Adam Bond an early farmer on a large scale. He loaded a cart with timber and took the horse to the tow track. For a distance of three miles the faithful animal would drag the dray to the doors of the Rising Sun Inn. Here the dray would be unloaded and the horse returned to its owner" (13).
Adam Bond and his family lived on a farm on the eastern side of Bond's Road from 1853. He and his family owned extensive landholdings in the area to as far south as Lugarno. His children married into other well-known families from the district, including the Welch family from "Forest Grove" and the Brand (or Brandt) family from Canterbury Road, near Remly Street. Other families associated with the Bond family are Brand, Shepherd, Moss, Matthews and Fahy.
It appears the Bond family also developed a friendship with the Howell family as Peter and Henrietta Howell were witnesses to the marriage of Adam Thomas Bond and Ann Martin on 15 April, 1854 at the Wesleyan Chapel in York Street, Sydney.
Bond is listed as a Trustee for the Road Trust of Canterbury Road in 1865 (14). He first appears in the Sands Directory in 1885 and is listed as a farmer; beside John Bond, English Church - Rev. M. KeIly on the western side off Canterbury Road, Canterbury, from Wylie's Lane.Adam Bond died on 20 June, 1885 at his residence in Bond Road, Belmore (16) and the following Funeral Notice appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald:
"The friends of the late Adam Bond, Senior, of Belmore are respectfully invited to attend his funeral to move from his residence this day Monday at 2pm for Belmore Cemetery".
In his Will (17) Adam Bond left eight acres with a house to his son Adam Thomas Bond for life, the remainder of furniture, money in the bank, feather bed, dresser to be divided amongst his daughter Mary Ann Brand, her children and the wife of Adam Bond junior.
Sandstone headstones featuring particularly beautiful designs mark the Bond family graves.
Bones and more bones: survey of St Saviourís Anglical Church undertaken between March and June, 1993. [Assignment 2 for the subject History through Monuments- undertaken for the Diploma of Local & Applied History, University of New England, Armidale]
St Saviour's Church of England, Canterbury Road (opposite Belmore Road) Punchbowl: Burial Records compiled by Joyce Ormsby. [Canterbury, NSW]: Canterbury & District Historical Society, 1989, p. 8.
Return to homepage