The Canterbury City Cemeteries
Moorefield's Methodist Cemetery,
It is believed to be the oldest cemetery in Canterbury City. The first of over 1155 listed burials was for Emma Lees recorded on 6 January, 1855. The burial records for this cemetery can not be substantiated due to a fire destroying the early burial records in 1905. After the fire, Mr Percy William Cant and Albert W Miller compiled limited records from memory. These records and other surviving cemetery records were referenced for this project.
Plots can no longer be purchased. Canterbury City Council is custodian of this cemetery and people with existing rights can arrange for relatives to be interred.
Situated in a corner of St Saviour's, Church of England, Punchbowl. In the late 1990s St Barnabas' Church was sold and the ashes of those interred were relocated to St Saviourís unless relatives chose to inter them elsewhere.
You may choose to:
The last cemetery will be available on this site in 2004:
St Paul's Church of England Cemetery, Canterbury.
The first recorded burial was for two day old, Henry Monk on 26th August, 1860. Burial plots can no longer be purchased in this cemetery and no burials are allowed. Niches can still be purchased in the Columbium.
Return to homepage