[Negative no. 20155]
Photo taken during the 1930s.  
[Negative no. 20164]
Photo taken between 1955 and 1960.  
[Negative no. 20156]
Photo taken during 1960.    
[Negative nos. 20155, 20164, 20156]
Canterbury Palace Picture Theatre was situated at 202 Canterbury Road, Canterbury. The Palace opened in 1922 and seated 910 patrons. Over the years this house was managed by numerous exhibitors including Bill McKenzie who was exhibitor in the 1930s.

The last exhibitor, the late Cecil Horan, operated the Palace for five and a half years prior to closure, screening quality programmes. With eye-catching daily press advertisements, Cecil attracted patrons to the Palace and created a friendly family cinema. He always had a policy of shaking patrons' hands and saying goodnight at the conclusion of every session and encouraged patrons to let him know if they wished to see a particular film.

Cecil unfortunately was unable to save the Palace from closure and the final screening was held on Saturday the 12th October, 1960 showing Alfred Hitchcock's - "Shadow of a doubt" also Deanna Durbin in "His Butler's Sister". After the cinema was closed, the building was converted into an electrical storeroom - Buckley Bros Electrical Showroom. The building was demolished during December, 1998.

Source (text): Sharp, Barry. "A Pictorial history of Sydney's suburban cinemas". Vol 1. Strawberry Hills, NSW: Barry Sharp, 1982. p. 129-130.

© Barry Sharp (photo & text).